Thursday, April 10, 2014

My First Acupuncture Treatment

At the Acupuncture Doc's office. I fill out a very brief 1 page summary, a refreshing change from the  the overly and unnecessary and misleading (IMHO) detailed forms required by Conventional Docs. I
think the difference with Alternative medicine is they talk to you and get to the important information which the briefer appointments (this one was an hour) with Conventional Docs try to deal with mechanically and ineffectively missing the point IMHO.

The Doc comes out of his treatment room, reads my form. then goes on the computer.  I couldn't see what he was looking up but believe it was PRP my rare disease. Docs in general do this. They Google your rare disease, then they tell you what it is from their Googling. Out of politeness you listen and nod appreciatively while already knowing what they  tell you and  more since you have spent a lot more time Googling than they have, or can afford to, spend on this rare disease.

The Doc then greets me and we go into the treatment room.  His ethnicity is Chinese (the office sign says Chinese medicine), and I would guess in his 40's as is his office assistant (wife?).  They are both quite businesslike.  I would not describe them as warm and friendly but they are not in any way unpleasant. I find if I smile she smiles back , but neither initiates a smile. He was recommended to me by a friend who has had successful treatment with him and the Doc has a number of awards listed on his website, and wall, all of which led me, along with what I have read, to be not at all concerned  about my being about to get a whole bunch of needles stuck into me by complete stranger.

We discuss my condition. He had not dealt with PRP before but  had heard of it. I give him the chronology. Told him I was way better (only 20 - 25% of the rash remains), and seem to be maybe continuing to get slightly and progressively better with time but want to see if I can reinforce or accelerate my improvement.  He thought (like others) that perhaps the powerful antibiotics I had taken in treating a urinary tract condition, (possibly brought on by a trip to a foreign country-I'd never had this before) had triggered the onset of PRP. 

He asked me if I want to do Acupuncture.  I said yes and signed a disclosure/acceptance form. Next he had me remove my socks and shoes and lie down on the treatment table. After swabbing portions of my body with alcohol, he then proceeds to stick 5 or 10 needles in my left ear.  I am surprised by the number here as well as the total number (maybe 50 to 100) which he sticks in my ankles, forehead, stomach and right side of my head. He does this very rapidly and I feel no pain but do feel them being inserted.  He says they are stainless steel, disposable and far narrower than typical medical needles.  I asked him how deep they were inserted and he said 1/4 inch to -I think - 1/2 inch.

Then he tells me that the treatment is to improve my immune system .. not strengthen it. (PRP may be an autoimmune disease where your immune system is out of control or overreacting to some other condition and fighting your body). I say you mean not strengthening or weakening but tuning it and he says yes. (I'm not sure this makes sense, I'm just reporting here as accurately as I can what each of us  said).

He has this electric box with wires coming out of it which he connects to the needles in my stomach  I feel some slight turbulence or rumbling in my stomach - but its not real unpleasant.    He also says as he connects the electrodes that he is adjusting my metabolism. He then says he is going to leave the room for 20 minutes and to call him if I need to.

So, now I am lying here very peacefully trying to observe what I can to report on my Blog to you.  I notice that the light in the room grows stronger and then dimer and repeats this periodically.  I think that this is the overhead chandelier with about 5 yellow Christmas tree shaped bulbs programmed to lighten and darken as part of the treatment but then I figure it is the light coming into the room through a window as the clouds shift, covering and uncovering the sun.  I hear the traffic in the very busy road in front of the office but it is like the ocean surf so almost soothing (fast flowing vehicles, no stopping or starting).  I think I could fall asleep given my lack of sleep the night before related to my current activist efforts but I don't want to and don't.

I feel like I am here for quite a bit more than 20 minutes by the time the Doc comes back.  He rapidly removes the pins and dabbs my left ear several times. Then he has me remove my shirt and lie on my side while he rapidly pricks my back in maybe 20 different places. This hurt very very slightly so I guess it was a needle or some instrument thicker than the needles previously inserted.

We then go out and  into the office where I pay $118 and get an appointment for the same time a week from this one.  He tells me next time he will place the needles in different places.

I left thinking that I don't really expect this to work but it's worth a try.   But, as I say, I am so positive these days I think I am getting and will continue to get better no matter what.

So does Acupuncture work?  I don't know yet and may never know for reasons stated in my last post.  But, I will tell you my experience with it as it occurs. And both of us can draw our own conclusions.  OK?  

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment